Are you tired of Hollywood’s outspoken elite making ignorant political statements? Do you boycott all Barbra Streisand or Alec Baldwin movies? Then political movie ratings are for you
We at CelebPolitics.com have tried to quantify how liberal movies are based upon a mathematical formula. This way, you can make informed decisions about which movies you will see, and which movies you will boycott because of particularly outspoken liberal actors. Supporting conservatives has never been easier!
How Our Ratings System Works
We have two separate ratings systems: one for individual actors and another for movies. In a nutshell, here’s how it works:
- Actors: Actors receive a numerical rating based upon their public political statements and their campaign contributions. Each actor starts with a numerical rating of zero, indicating neutrality, which is them modified upward for conservative campaign contributions and political statements or downward for liberal donations or statements.
- Movies: Movies receive a numerical rating that is just the sum of the ratings of the movie’s actors.
Negative ratings indicate that the actor is liberal (or that the movie stars liberal actors), while positive ratings indicate that the actor is conservative (or that the movie stars conservative actors). Large positive numbers indicate strong conservatism, while large negative numbers indicate strong liberalism.
Translating Numbers into Recommendations
Based upon the movie’s numerical rating, it will receive one of five recommendations:
- Conservative – All movies with a numerical rating of 1 or greater.
- Neutral – All movies with a zero numerical rating.
- Somewhat Liberal – All movies with a numerical rating between -1 and -5.
- Liberal – All movies with a numerical rating between -6 and -10.
- Toxic Liberal Waste – All movies with a numerical rating of any number below -10.
- Actor’s Overall Rating: Each actor’s Overall Rating is calculated as follows: (-1)(# of liberal quotes) + (-1)(liberal donations / $10,000) + (5)(# of conservative quotes) + (3)(conservative donations / $5,000). In other words, actors receive one negative point for each liberal quote made and for each $10,000 of liberal campaign donations made (with an upper limit of 50 for campaign donations).
- Movie’s Overall Rating: A movie’s Overall Rating is the sum of the overall ratings of the actors who appear in the movie.
Example of Actor Overall Rating – Barbra Streisand
To give you a better idea of how we calculate the Overall Ratings, let’s take an example – Barbra Streisand. Each actor – even Barbra – starts with a rating of zero, indicating neutrality, which is then modified up or down based upon political statements and campaign contributions.
Barbra’s calculation: First, we count the number of liberal statements she has made. As of 01/29/06, we had recorded ten such statements, so that takes her rating from zero to -10.
Next, we take her overall liberal campaign contributions ($498,075) and divide by 10,000. This gives us -50 (we always round up). We add -50 to -10, and Barbra’s Overall Rating is now -60. Because she has made no conservative-friendly statements or campaign contributions, she receives no offsetting (positive) points.
Example of Movie Overall Rating – Meet the Fockers
We just showed you how we calculated Barbra’s actor rating. To calculate a movie rating, we simply do this calculation for each actor in the movie and then add them together.
In Meet the Fockers, we add together the Overall Ratings of Barbra Streisand (-60), Dustin Hoffman (-16), Blythe Danner (-3), and Robert DeNiro (-7). This gives Meet the Fockers a total Conservative-Friendly Rating of -86, making the movie Toxic Liberal Waste.
Movies NOT Rated Based On Content
Just for clarification, the movie ratings system does NOT take into account the actual content of the movies; instead, we rate only the actors who appear in the movie. We leave it to the viewer to decide what is – and what is not – suitable for their viewing. Ideally, conservative movie-goers would first narrow the list of movies that are at theaters to those with a “neutral” or “conservative” rating. Then, based upon the content and topic of the movie, they would make an ultimate decision about which movie to attend.
Ultimately, we at CelebPolitics.com certainly share your concern about the content of movies, and hope that viewers take that into account when viewing a movie. For instance, the “Homosexual Cowboy” movie, Brokeback Mountain, is rated as “neutral” by our ratings system, but this is only because it does not feature any outspoken liberals or conservatives. Even with its neutral rating, however, conservatives should avoid this movie.
WHY CELEBPOLITICS.COM DOES NOT RATE THE CONTENT OF A MOVIE
CelebPolitics.com has decided not to rate the actual content of this movie, for two main reasons. First, many scenes in movies would add a significant subjective element to our otherwise objective rankings. Our rankings system quantifies exactly how liberal an actor or movie is based upon strictly objective criteria, and we want to keep it that way. Second, in addition to the enormous amount of work involved in rating every scene of every movie rated (more than 3,500 so far and growing fast), rating each movie’s content would require that we actually view the movie – which is in conflict with our suggestion that viewers avoid liberal movies!
Why Aren’t All of a Movie’s Actors Listed?
The vast majority of actors have never made contributions to either party or public political statements, so they are not a part of our database.
If you have any questions, or would like further clarification, please post it on our Discussion Board.